Saturday 20 July 2013

MY LATENESS GETS ME A WRITTEN WARNING FROM THE COUNCIL

On Friday, I got a written warning from the Council market manager at Hoxton. I was not surprised. It had been a long time coming. I am a habitual late comer. In fact from the inception of this new market in May,I have arrived late. No not myself physically, I mean my stall as represented by my boyfriend who has kindly run it on my behalf.
I shall tell you a little bit about my boyfriend. He is one of those people who has an unsmiling face. That is sometimes called a stony demeanour, or a Military looking face or a very serious face- you get the gist.I suppose you could call him a miserable angel.Whereas if I arrived late at a market I will quickly flash my 1 million watts smile at the ego tripping manager and apologise plus find a suitably fitting tale to tell( My all time favourite excuse  is   the chock-a-block that is the A40). The boyfriend will be confrontational.He was unacceptably late last Sunday bless him because he had to drop me and my wares off at the disastrous Upmarket  (see my first post) I insisted we both did Upmarket but he very knowledgeably declined and muttered something about  not putting all our eggs in one basket. I knew that business wise that was a sound decision on his part but for once I also felt that even a major incidence on the A40 could not explain this mother of all lateness to the long suffering manager at this market!.He was told we would get a written warning .It is customary for him to reply with a scowl  and a very economic "sorry we are late". So we waited for the letter. And  it came. Henceforth ,the letter commanded ,we must arrive promptly at the stated set up times or be dismissed from the market.
The boyfriend would love not to go back. But it will take more than a few thinly veiled  threats to get me to stop trading at a low rent  promising local authority run market . So it happened yesterday morning,that  I  surpassed my own expectation when I woke up before the alarm did and prepared all food and got him to leave for the market in ample time to be one of the first to arrive. Okay he was not one of the first to arrive but he arrived early enough  and was able to set  up well in advance of the allowed time !

No comments:

Post a Comment