Saturday 28 June 2014

WHAT YOU,VE MISSED SO FAR.

I apologise for being incommunicado since the year.I tell you It has been a fiery roller coaster of a year so far.Pretty unprecedented.First  the rainy season  deluge we  had at the beginning of the year,took its toll on my two toddlers .The 3 year old would go to Nursery where he will of course play with the other kids in the garden in the cold without his coat, (I think it is silly to allow kids to play outside when it is raining even the slightest drizzle but don't tell the policy makers of pre-school children,s education I said that)He would come back home with a sniffle .My two year old would promptly catch it ,and from then on it would be a race as to whose develops into an almighty viral infection .Like most parents, though I am aware that the GP would re-prescribe Calpol, and advise against the futility of administering antibiotics,I want my kids to at least get a decent night rest without bouts of excruciating coughs .I sometimes insisted on antibiotics being prescribed and that of course meant they got a bit better briefly only to fall ill again within a few days.So it happened that for the first quarter of this year, I visited the children,s urgent care centre more often than not  most nights.And being one of those unfortunate people who must get at least 8 hours sleep before they can function , I just couldn't function and didn't know whether I was coming or going most days.The lovely Sue, the nurse at our Surgery took pity on me after I had dragged the kids to her room for the 3rd time in one week and said"flu jab next year unfailingly and for God,s sake get some Haliborange  for the 3 year old" This piece of information became an epiphany for me because prior to becoming aware of it I had been so blinded by my determination not to introduce my kids to sweets that I did not realise how beneficial this particular Softies were. I went through the mineral and vitamin composition of  the brand I was giving the kids hitherto to now and found that though it may be adequate for my 2 year old who eats any and everything you put on her plate ,and therefore,gets enough nutrients from her meals to boost her immune system ,my fussy mummy -give-me-more-milk 3year old boy required a more tailored help to boost his immune system as he did not eat much. For the record, I do not work for the makers of Haliborange but I must say that it worked for my boy.But catching up on work in order to pay outstanding bills  then took precedence as the kids and of course the weather returned to normality.
So ,I got my first invitation to apply for an opportunity to cater at the annual Boat race. But the organizer is asking for a whooping £750 .I visit their website hoping to glimpse happy smiley faces of afore years caterers doing brisk business but find none.Still scared from catering at "festivals"which turned out to be nothing but lunch time market last year, I was determined  to proceed cautiously or wise still not commit at all if I had the tiniest doubt about its viability.I ask if I was going to be the only food trader at this event selling my genre of food but what I got was an unconvincing reply plus that usual phrase that induces reckless investment on new street traders ;"we are expecting 20 thousand visitors"but a new street trader I wasn't .In fact if there was ever an award for the grand dame of street trading I should win the award hands down .I decided it was too risky and declined the offer. Lambeth country show,s email soon  followed .I rang up  the council to find out the criteria to applying successfully as my bid was turned down last year and it is quite a form one has to fill out."Your bid is unlikely to be accepted if you do not live in the borough"a voice told me. You don't say!but my address clearly showed that I live nowhere near Lambeth. I said they could have saved me a lot of bother on last year,s application."Please send me no more  soliciting emails about applying because I won't be making a bid ever again "Another one bites the dust. I thought.
 And then there is Waheeda(from my December blog).She has lost all her hair and despite having had a fitted wig made for her, refuses to wear it.How are things with her  boyfriend? I ask aware that she avoids discussing him each time I bring the subject up.She hasn,t seen him since the diagnosis."Why ever not?" I scolded her knowing from her tone that she instigated the separation . "I  ain't seeing no man without my boobs" she replied matter of factly. "When I am done with my chemo and other treatments and have had my breast reconstructed, I will perhaps then think about seeing any man but for now I am perfectly fine  on my own thank you very much" I just sat there looking at this enigma of a woman to whom so far ,Fate has dealt a more than average hard and cruel life and through it all she still keeps her smile .She went back to work  just weeks after surgery to have her breasts removed.I have often wondered since her diagnosis ,how I would have reacted were it myself that was given that diagnosis a year after loosing my mum and a brother in law.And methinks  it would have been a constant barrage of assaults on God,s ears and a non stop whinnying of why me again to any and everyone who will care enough to listen.

No comments:

Post a Comment